The primary goal of OT is to find ways to help kids be more successful whether it be skill practice or providing accommodations or modifications to set them up for success.
If you think there’s a problem, my advice to you is…When in doubt, check it out. Equip your child with the the tools they need now to feel competent and confident at school.
How Do I Know If My Student Needs
Occupational Therapy (OT) Services?
- Seems less coordinated that same age peers. Needs more practice than other children to learn new skills.
- Overly active, unable to slow down. Difficulty self-calming or regulating activity level.
- Difficulty following multi- step directions
- Over-reacts to touch, taste, sounds, or smells.
- Has difficulty handling transitions or unexpected changes in routine.
- Difficulty focusing attention or over-focused and unable to shift to the next task.
- Does not enjoy jumping, swings or having feet off the ground.
- Difficulty safely navigating play equipment or takes excessive risks, poor impulse control
- Dislikes handwriting or avoids writing tasks.
- Holds pencil with an awkward grasp
- Tires quickly during written class work
- Has difficulty coloring in the lines
- Breaks pencils/crayons frequently, writes with heavy pressure or too lightly
- Letter reversals (1st grade and beyond)
- Finds it difficult to make friends with children of the same age, prefers to play with adults or younger children rather than peers.
- Poor self-esteem, lack of confidence, easily frustrated, gives up easily
If you’re ready for this next step, I encourage you to contact your home school, ask your pediatrician for local referrals or come visit us at Stepping Stones Therapy Network in Bellevue, WA!
Click HERE for your free
FREE Training | AOTA Approved! (1 CEU)
Here’s what other’s have to say about the training…
“Jessica made the introduction to telehealth less intimidating to me. I can now breathe and move forward.” ~ Stephanie OTR/L
“Jessica’s course made me feel more positive and comfortable about telehealth practice. It was practical and actionable; I can use Jessica’s suggestions right away.” ~ Kelli OTR/L
“I just finished watching your course and loved every minute of it! The lessons are very informative and engaging.” ~ Sabrina COTA/L
“The telehealth resources were a hit, so I plan to keep on using them even though I’m back to working with kids in person.” ~ Suzanne OTR/L