Jack O’ Lantern Cookies
These cute Jack O’ Lantern Cookies are SO easy to make it’s scary! Use ready made ingredients to assemble this Halloween cookie craft.
Ingredients & Supplies
- Oreos or other round cookies
- Mini Chocolate chips
- Orange frosting OR Vanilla frosting and red and yellow food coloring
- Green Sour Punch Straws
- Child safe scissors
This activity helps kids improve fine motor skills while using a spoon to mix, a knife to spread and scissors to snip the candy straw stem! There are several skills that your child will practice to make these adorable cookies, whether it’s a single treat or a platter of pumpkins to bring to your next party. For example…
- Mixing the frosting requires strength and the use of two hands (one to hold the container and the other to stir with a spoon).
- Learning to hold a knife properly to spread the frosting encourages proper utensil use.
- Snipping candy straws with scissors supports hand strength and scissor skills.
- Picking up tiny chocolate chips is excellent for developing precision pinch skills.
- Next decide whether your Jack o’ Lantern’s mouth will be happy, sad or scary.
- Note: You can get several repetitions in if you decorate lots of little pumpkins.
Pro Tip: Increase the dexterity challenge by placing the chocolate chips on the face with the pointy sides up. This will make the face look like a classically carved pattern with a triangle-shaped nose and eyes.
No matter how spooky these Jack O’ Lantern Cookies try to be… they’ll always be sweet little pumpkin treats.